MAR20418 – Certificate II in Maritime Operations
(Marine Engine Driver Grade 3 Near Coastal)
The Australian MAR20418 – Certificate II in Maritime Operations (Marine Engine Driver Grade 3 Near Coastal) qualification will enable you to work in the following capacity:
- Chief Engineer on a vessel with an inboard engine with propulsion power <500 kW in waters to the outer limits of the EEZ
- Second Engineer (second in charge of the engine room) on a vessel with an inboard engine with propulsion power <750 kW in waters to the outer limits of the EEZ
- Chief Engineer or Second Engineer on a vessel with an outboard engine with unlimited propulsion in waters to the outer limits of the EEZ
- Assist an engineer in any tasks that may be required on board while working under the direct supervision of the person in charge of the vessel’s engines
- Work in the engine room of a vessel <80 m long with propulsion power <3000 kW.
You Will Learn:
The combination theory and practical course incorporates both design, operation and maintenance knowledge of main propulsion and ancillary equipment, auxiliary systems, extra-low voltage electrical systems, work health and safety, marine environmental legislation compliance and sustainability.
REQUIREMENTS FOR THE ISSUE OF THE FINAL AMSA CERTIFICATE OF COMPETENCY (MARINE ENGINE DRIVER GRADE 3 NEAR COASTAL):
Currently, there are no entry requirements set by the AMSA for this particular course, however, we do recommend equivalent proficiency in maths and English to a year 10 level. Each student is required to undertake a prescribed Language, Literacy and Numeracy Assessment (LLN).
- MAR20418 - Certificate II in Maritime Operations (Marine Engine Driver Grade 3 Near Coastal) (provided at the successful completion of the course);
- Successfully pass the AMSA Mandated Practical Assessment – AMPA (included as part of the course for an additional fee).
- HLTAID003 statement of attainment Provide first aid;
- Eyesight Test Certificate;
- Self declaration of medical fitness (completed on AMSA426 COC application form)
- 16 years old.
The qualifying sea service must be completed while performing any of the following duties: general purpose hand; Coxswain Grade 1 NC or Coxswain Grade 2 NC certificate; assistant to an engine driver, to a chief engineer or to a second engineer.
You will need either:
- 20 days of qualifying sea service on commercial vessels with propulsion power >75 kw that includes at least 10 days on vessels with inboard diesel engines and a completed AMSA approved TASK Book
- or 60 days of qualifying sea service on either recreational or commercial vessels with propulsion power <75 kw that includes at least 30 days on vessels with inboard diesel engines without the need for an AMSA approved TASK Book.
*TASK Books may be purchased from head office.
Download the AMSA notes for more information on requirements.
Before you can enroll in this course you must download and read the following PDF files for details on course information, enrolment and obtaining your USI number. Click on the file names to download them.
Prior Training and Experience
Contact us to arrange a telephone interview to assess your prior training and experience as you may be eligible for Credit Transfer and/or Recognition of Prior Learning. If you wish to proceed with the process of recognition of prior learning, you will be required to present the required documentation for review. There will be an administration fee for assessing your documentation and you may have a practical skills and knowledge assessment at an additional cost. For details on what you will need for recognition of prior learning download the Recognition of Prior Learning Handbook PDF file.
THE MAIN FEATURES OF THE MARINE ENGINE DRIVER GRADE 3 TRAINING COURSE
You will be completing the following units of competency through theory and practical training while attending the training program at SCA
UNITS OF COMPETENCY COVERED:Engineering Elements
- MARB028 Service marine internal combustion engines, and propulsion and auxiliary systems
- MARC033 Complete engine room tasks
- MARC034 Maintain hull out of water
- MARC035 Operate and maintain extra low and low voltage electrical systems and equipment
- MARC036 Operate deck machinery
- MARC039 Operate marine internal combustion engines, and propulsion and auxiliary systems
- MARJ006 Follow environmental work practices
- BSBWOR203B Work effectively with others
- MARF027 Apply basic survival skills in the event of vessel abandonment
- MARF028 Follow procedures to minimise and fight fires on board a vessel
- MARF029 Meet work health and safety requirements
- MARF030 Survive at sea using survival craft
- HLTAID003 Provide first aid
The Course is 10 days duration for those having Shipboard Safety Skill Set units or 16 days if you do not already hold the Shipboard Safety Skill Set units of competency as outlined below.
- Week 1: Monday – Friday
- Week 2: Monday – Friday
- Week 3: Monday - Saturday (6 days - if required for Shipboard Safety Skill Set units of competency)
Students who have completed the MARSS00008 - Shipboard Safety Skill Set unit are eligible to apply for credit transfer for the following units:
- MARF027- Apply basic survival skills in the event of vessel abandonment
- MARF028 - Follow procedures to minimise and fight fires on board a vessel
- MARF029 - Meet work health and safety requirements
- MARF030 - Survive at sea using survival craft
The course is run from our Marina Office in Newport NSW Australia and the Superyacht Crew Academy Training Facility at 8 Kalinya Street, Newport. The facilities are a 45min drive North of Sydney’s CBD. To see a map of how to find us CLICK HERE
WITH SMART AND SKILLED SUBSIDY
MAR20418 – Certificate III in Maritime Operations (Marine Engine Driver Class 3 Near Coastal) $1010* - Smart and Skilled
$0* - NSW Job Trainer
MAR20418 – Certificate III in Maritime Operations (Marine Engine Driver Class 3 Near Coastal) $2495
ADDITIONAL PRICES - OPTIONAL
|AMSA Mandated Practical Assessment - part of course||$495|
|Marine Engine Driver Grade 3 NC – AMSA Task Book||$40|
|Provide First Aid – HLTAID003 (No fee for Smart & Skilled enrolments)||$100|
|Recognition of Prior Learning Fee (RPL)||$425|
**IIf you are a resident of NSW, or work in NSW, you may be eligible for training which is subsidised by the NSW Government under Smart and Skilled.
Sign on now!
All fields on the form are required.
If you do not have one of the items, for example a mobile phone or skype or a fax put an "X" in the box.