AUSTRALIAN COXSWAIN TRAINING COURSE
MAR20313 - Certificate II in Maritime Operations (Coxswain Grade 1 Near Coastal)
Coxswain up to 12m Near Coastal
The Australian Coxswain Grade 1 Near Coastal qualification will enable you to command Australian Registered commercial or private vessels less than 12m long with an outboard engine of any power or with an inboard engine of less than 500kW (670 hp). The vessel must be operated within 12nm of the coastline or, if the vessel is a tender or auxiliary vessel, it may operate within 3 nm of the parent vessel within 3nm of a parent vessel anywhere in the Australian Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ).
When you obtain a Certificate of Competency as an Australian Coxswain, you can be the master or engineer of a fishing or trading vessel less than 12 metres in length operating within 15nm of the coastline. The vessel may have an outboard motor of any power, but if it has an inboard motor it must have less than 500 kW (670 hp). This includes:
- Commercial fishing vessels
- Charter fishing boats
- Police or other government boats
- Passenger charter yachts
- Water Taxis and more...
You will learn:
- Practical skills in coastal navigation and seamanship using a range of vessels.
- Practical firefighting and survival skills required for safety at sea.
- Practical mechanic and engineering skills for boats.
- Health, safety and environmental work pactices aboard a vessel.
Requirements for the (coxswain grade 1 near Coastal) Certificate II:
- Certificate II in Maritime operations (provided at the successful completion of the course);
- HLTAID003 certificate of competency Provide first aid;
- Long Range Operators Certificate of Proficiency; (LROCP)
- Eyesight Test Certificate;
- Medical declaration;
- 16 years old.
You will need either:
- 30 days sea time on commercial vessels over 5 metres long. And a completed AMSA approved TASK Book,
- or 240 days sea time which may be accrued on recreational vessels without an AMSA TASK Book.
*TASK Books may be purchased from Sydney Maritime Institute,a division of Superyacht Crew Academy.
The main features of the Coxswain Near Coastal training Course
There are a total of 12 theory and practical training units of competency for MAR20313 - CERTIFICATE II MARITIME OPERATIONS COXSWAIN GRADE 1 NEAR COASTAL.
When you have successfully completed the 12 units of competency and had your seatime accepted by Roads and Maritime Services, you will be eligible to take the oral examination with Roads and Maritime Services (RMS).
Shipboard Safety Skill Set theory and practical
MARF005 - Survive at sea using survival craft
MARF002 - Follow procedures to minimise and fight fires on board a vessel
MARF001 - Apply basic survival skills in the event of vessel abandonment
MARF004 - Meet work health and safety requirements
HLTFA311A - Provide First Aid
Onwater practical with classroom theory
MARI001 - Comply with regulations to ensure safe operation of a vessel up to 12 metres
MARK001 - Handle a vessel up to 12 metres
MARN002 - Apply seamanship skills aboard a vessel up to 12 metres
Engineering theory classroom based with Practical Assessments on different vessels and their engines
MARC005 - Operate inboard and outboard motors
MARC006 - Operate main propulsion unit and auxiliary systems
MARH001 - Plan and navigate a passage for a vessel up to 12 metres
MARH003 – MARI001 - Comply with regulations to ensure safe operation of a vessel up to 12 metres
MARJ001 - Follow environmental work practices
The Course is 22 Days
- Week 1: Monday-Saturday
- Week 2: Monday-Sunday
- Week 3: Tuesday-Friday(Radio will be completed this Sunday if required)
- Week 4: Monday-Friday
Students who have completed the STCW/Shipboard Safety skill set will be given credit transfer for the following units:
- MARF005 - Survive at sea using survival craft
- MARF002 - Follow procedures to minimise and fight fires on board a vessel
- MARF001 - Apply basic survival skills in the event of vessel abandonment
- MARF004 - Meet work health and safety requirements
The course is run from our Marina Office in Newport NSW Australia and the Superyacht Crew Academy Training Facility at 8 Kalinya Street, Newport. The facilities are a 45min drive North of Sydney’s CBD. To see a map of how to find us CLICK HERE
Coxswain NC - Please call us 02 9979 9669 to see if you are eligible for a NSW government Smart and Skilled subsidy to offset part of the cost of this training programme.
COXSWAIN TRAINING PRICES
WITH SMART AND SKILLED SUBSIDY
COXSWAIN Grade 1 NC - $1010*
*(subject to Smart and Skilled student eligibility)
Add International Qualifications:
COXSWAIN Grade 1 NC - $3,450 (National Qualifications Only)
COXSWAIN Grade 1 NC, add INTERNATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS - $6,450
OPTIONAL QUALIFICATION PRICES
|LROCP MARINE RADIO||$210|
|PROVIDE FIRST AID||$395|
|COXSWAIN GRADE 1 NC - AMSA TASK BOOK||$30|
**If you are a resident of NSW, or work in NSW, you may be eligible for the NSW Government Smart and Skilled subsidy programme.
Completing the course does not guarantee passing the examination by the NSW Roads and Maritime Services. We will teach you everything you need to know to pass, but actually passing the exam depends on you, your performance and the amount of study you are prepared to put in.
Sign on now!
All fields on the form are required.
If you do not have one of the items, for example a mobile phone or skype or a fax put an "X" in the box.